Postdoctoral Research Associate or Postdoctoral Research Fellow - PenCHORD (ref: P47520)
Do you want to help drive innovative use of data science, deep learning, and operational research in real world health service problems? Then this could be the perfect job for you.
This NIHR Applied Research Collaboration (ARC) South West Peninsula funded post is available immediately. The successful applicant will join PenCHORD and, working with other researchers in a supportive team environment, play a key role in maintaining it as a centre of research excellence.
The primary aims of PenCHORD are:
- to be a national and international centre of excellence in applied health operational research and data science;
- to increase regional and national awareness of the potential of OR and data science in healthcare;
- to work collaboratively with health and care organisations using OR and data science and apply effective solutions which demonstrate improvements to service delivery;
- to promote exchange of knowledge between OR/data science researchers and the NHS;
- to develop the facility to a point that it becomes self-sustaining through external funding (e.g. through the Knowledge Transfer Partnerships scheme and the NIHR Health Service and Delivery Research programme); and
- to disseminate research findings via appropriate journals and local / regional NHS and academic networks.
The post will involve:
- Supporting PenCHORDs current work programme, delivering OR and data science projects to improve health service delivery, both locally in the South West and nationally.
- Assisting with the delivery of the innovative PenCHORD Health Service Modelling Associates (HSMA) Programme, building capacity within the health service and training local NHS staff to use operational research and data science methods to improve patientcare.
Please refer to the individual job descriptions for more details about the work expected at each level.
The successful applicant will be able to present information on research progress and outcomes, communicate complex information, orally, in writing and electronically and prepare proposals and applications to external bodies.
Applicants will possess a PhD or be nearing completion for Postdoctoral Research Associate level or possess an equivalent qualification/experience in a related field of study or equivalent experience and be able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge in operational research and of research methods and techniques to work within established research programmes.
Please note a PhD is not essential if applicants can demonstrate sufficient experience in operational research and data science.
You can view the Job Description and Person Specification documents below.
Please contact Prof Martin Pitt, e-mail M.Pitt@ex.ac.uk or telephone (01392) 726082.
Closing date for applications is 01 December 2019. Interviews are expected to take place on 10 December 2019.
The starting salary for Postdoctoral Research Associate will be from £30,046 on Grade E, depending on qualifications and experience. For Postdoctoral Research Fellow will be from £35,845 on Grade F, depending on qualifications and experience.
This full time post is available from 1 January 2020 on a fixed term basis until 31 December 2021.
We welcome applications from candidates interested in working part-time hours or job-sharing arrangements.
For more information, and to apply for the post, please visit the University of Exeter Jobs website.